Thursday 11 August 2011

A Moderate Success

History is moving forward at breakneck speed. We live in tumultuous times. The Euro crisis, the US debt crisis, the News International phone hacking scandal, the Arab spring, the UK riots, and an impending second financial crash.

Meanwhile, I'm having an excellent year. I've been to New York where I had a meeting with a publisher in the Flatiron Building, I spoke about my work, along with other cartoonists, at the Latitude music festival in front of hundreds of people, and I was interviewed on radio four's All In The Mind programme (which caused Psychiatric Tales to be a best seller on Amazon).

Assuming society hasn't completely broken down, and we don't find our selves living in bands of roving cannibals, I will have two further books out next year: Uncle Bob Adventures, (from Blank Slate), and Science Tales (from Myriad Editions).

Not bad for someone who, only a few years ago, was unemployed, on the verge of homelessness, had crippling debts, and was suicidal. At the time I could see no way out. Yet somehow I've blundered on to create this new and very interesting life. I wouldn't have thought it possible, but it has happened anyway.

I'm very grateful to all the people who supported through that time. Thanks everyone.

Here's a little stop-motion piece I made, using a set of Russian dolls.

No comments: